When I first started a keto diet lifestyle, I found a few different recipes for a low-carb 90 Second Keto Bread. I tried them all, but the recipes seemed incomplete.
One recipe the bread was so thin that when I’d slice it in half, it would be flimsy and wouldn’t stay together. Epic fail!
Other recipes the bread tasted too egg-y or the flavor was just “off”.
I decided to use the recipes I found and adjust the ingredients and technique until I developed the most Perfect 90 Second Keto Bread recipe I’ve ever tried!
Here’s how it’s done. It’s super easy, but I’ll show you step by step:
Perfect 90 Second Keto Bread Step-by-Step
I’m a firm believer in using unsalted butter when baking (or microwaving in this case). You can control the flavor by the amount of salt you add to it.
You’ll take your unsalted butter, add it to a large mug or a bowl and pop it in the microwave for about 45 seconds, or until just melted.
I like to use a 2-cup glass ramekin like you see in the photo below. It makes the PERFECT size round piece of bread – it resembles the size of an english muffin.
You can remove your butter from the microwave after most of it is melted – in other words, you can take it out when you still have unmelted butter in your dish as the remaining butter will melt without overheating the butter.
You don’t want to add your egg to the butter until it’s cooled a bit.
While your melted butter is cooling, you’ll grab your dry ingredients and add them to a separate dish.
If you’re like me and keep your blanched almond flour in the freezer, the flour will clump up so make sure you smooth out the clumps and allow your flour to come close to room temperature.
Next, add your baking powder (I use an aluminum-free brand), a pinch of salt, and thoroughly mix the ingredients together. You don’t want any clumps in your batter.
Once your butter mixture is cooler (not cold, but not super hot), add your egg to the butter and beat it thoroughly with a fork.
This is an important step – you want to make sure that all the whites of the egg are completely broken down or you’ll have weird egg-white texture throughout your bread.
Once your egg and butter mixture is perfectly blended, add your dry ingredients to your mug or bowl.
This is another extremely important step. I find that when I mix all the ingredients very well, not only will your bread be consistent when microwaved, but it will also be a bit lighter in texture instead of too dense.
Make sure you scrape the sides of your mug or bowl so any excess mixture is placed into the bowl.
Place your mug or bowl into the microwave for 90 seconds or until completely cooked. Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave and place it upside down on a small plate.
As your bread cools, your bread will gently fall out of the bowl onto the plate. You may have to give it a nudge or two, but there is plenty of butter in this recipe to allow a gentle release!
Allow your bread to cool slightly and slice in half – I use a small plate that has a bit of a lip on it. It’s the perfect size plate to provide as a guide when slicing so I have a evenly-sliced pieces of bread.
I love toasting my bread in the toaster as it gives it a nuttier flavor and the texture is awesome! Toasting the bread also makes the bread a bit more sturdy to handle when eating!
You can save this image below for a quick reference to the abbreviated version of the recipe. Click the image and save onto your computer or device.
I love using my Perfect 90 Second Keto Bread for all types of things – I love making an Avocado Benedict (I usually skip the sauce), enjoy spreading a smear of peanut butter over one piece, or keeping it simple with a pad of butter melted over the top.
I’ve even made a BLT with Avocado using my Perfect 90 Second Keto Bread. The sky is the limit! I think maybe my next meal might be french toast!
Keto Egg Salad Sandwich
This Perfect 90 Second Keto Bread recipe is the perfect bread if you have a hankering for a Keto Egg Salad Sandwich.
Please come back and let me know how you enjoyed my Perfect 90 Second Keto Bread and how you served it!
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon Blanched Almond Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Large Egg
- Pinch of salt, to taste (omit this is you use salted butter)
- Add butter to a large mug or bowl (I use a 2-cup glass ramekin - it makes the perfect size round piece of bread). Place in microwave for about 45 seconds, or until butter is thoroughly melted.
- Remove butter from microwave and allow to sit and cool. While cooling, mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Once butter has cooled slightly, add egg to melted butter and lightly beat with a fork until egg is completely beaten and better and egg are well combined. You don't want to add the egg while the butter is too hot or you'll have scrambled eggs!
- Add dry ingredients to butter and egg mixture and mix until well combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl with your fork to force any excess mixture from the sides into the dish.
- Place in microwave for 1 min and 30 seconds (90 seconds total), or until bread is cooked through.
- Remove from mug or bowl. Allow to cool for a minute. Slice in half, brown slightly in toaster and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 277Total Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 0gSodium: 492mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g